[TowerTalk] Tower Incidents

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Incidents
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 23:57:52 -0700
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 23:53:54 -0400
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Incidents

To me, the cable breaking incident points out a failure in procedure as
well as the cable.

How many of us would use our fall arrest gear as a temporary rest
support? I'd hazard a guess and say, none!
"Again, to me" using that cable (a fall arrest gear) equates to using
our fall arrest gear for a temporary rest support. Yes the cable is for
fall arrest, not normal support where I'd use the Y support  for a rest
support.  True, had someone fallen the safety cable would have failed,
most likely leading to a fatality.
Still the point is someone using safety equipment for regular support,
where the Y cable is for climbing.

73

Roger (K8RI)

##  The safety cable is used for climbing up /down, thats it.  But you could
easily use it as a TEMP rest support during both climbing up /down.

Lets forget aruba for a second, where the local wx  eats everything in sight,
including the
guy wires holding up your tower, and the myriad of pre-forms used on a guyed
tower.

Most folks  trust their  pre-forms  used in their guyed towers, so why not the
pre-form
used at the top of the tower, used for the safety cable, esp since the cable is
.375 inch,
which means the mating pre-form is also huge.   Or use 3-4  cable clamps.

Hook on the safety slider, climb part way up the tower, use ur lanyard if  you
want to rest a bit,
then un hook lanyard, climb to top, then re-hook the lanyard.   In the mean
time, you will not falloff
for any reason.   One could be in good shape...and still feel  faint all of a
sudden, up a tower for a
while in the blazing hot sun. Or stung by wasps / hornets, or having to use one
hand to swat wasps
away, or say a leg / foot /ankle cramp.  Or somehow hurting a hand  /arm /
fingerS while working up
there.  I have had some of those items happen to myself.... and just had to
wait a while... b4 climbing back down.
No fun trying to  climb down a tower, with blood pouring out of one hand.

Jim   VE7RF