Re: [TowerTalk] Portable analyzers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Portable analyzers
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2016 07:29:42 -0700
On 7/8/16 10:30 PM, Paul Braiman wrote:
I've been using the AA-600 for 2+ years now. Very capable analyzer.
Screen is easy to read, the controls easy to use. The only drawbacks
are the use of a type n connector, and the slow time it takes to do
TDR on a feedline. But then, a real TDR costs waaaay more money.

Can you change the number of frequency points it uses to do the time domain plot? I assume it's measuring at a series of frequency steps and then doing a transform to time domain.

If you don't need as many points of resolution, it can go faster. If you keep the step spacing the same, and use fewer points, the time resolution will be worse, but the maximum unambiguous distance will be the same. If you keep the total frequency span the same, the resolution stays fine, but you bring the unambiguous distance in.