Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Losses on 160 and 75?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Losses on 160 and 75?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2016 12:01:09 -0700
On Sun,8/7/2016 10:04 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
I would be ham number 10.
https://www.pasternack.com/flexible-0.405-rg11-75-ohm-coax-cable-pvc-jacket-rg11a-u-p.aspx
No foil and it looks like good braid coverage, although coverage
is not in the specs.

In my limited experience, Pasternak is an expensive source of cable, although the cables I've found with that name on it have been of very good quality. Not long after moving here in 2006, I found a partial spool of a Pasternak RG6 in a surplus outlet. It has a copper center and TWO rather dense copper braid shields.

The best bargain I know of for all-copper RG11 is the one sold by Davis RF. It is private labeled for them. I have no idea who the actual mfr is.

Another limitation of CATV coax is that only CATV crimp connectors work, and the only ones that are widely available to fit it are F-connectors or BNCs. I find the Snap'N Seal branded connectors to be quite good, but they 1) must physically match the cable dimensions; 2) stripping and crimp tools that match the coax must be used for a good connection; and 3) F-connectors require adapters to connect to our antennas, and most F-connector adapters I've seen are of highly questionable quality.

73, Jim K9YC