Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Losses on 160 and 75?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Losses on 160 and 75?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2016 00:50:46 -0700
On Sat,8/6/2016 10:57 AM, Jeff AC0C wrote:
The one issue that is worth mentioning is making a solid contact with the rather lousy shield that RG11 has, at least the stuff I have. It's the essence-of-braid wrapped around some foil.

Jeff,

"RG11" does NOT describe coax. MANY years ago, RG-numbers defined tight engineering specs. NOW, they are nothing more than generic descriptors of approximate diameter and impedance. In today's world, "RG11" means 75 ohm coax with an approximate o.d. of 0.4-in. RG8 means 50 ohm coax of about the same size. RG213 sort of implies 50 ohm cable with a foam dielectric. That's ALL. It is NOT a spec, it does NOT define loss, nor impedance, nor Vf. To describe actual coax, we must specify manufacturer's part numbers and there must be a REAL technical data sheet for the cable. Only a few cable companies publish REAL tech data sheets. Belden, Commscope, and Times are are the ones I know of that DO, and even among those REAL cable companies, some data sheets are FAR better than others. Try getting data sheets from any of the other companies that sell coax with their name on it. I tried. None delivered.

You're using a special variety of RG11 designed specifically for CATV systems. It's greatly cost-reduced to satisfy the needs of those systems, where most of the signals being transmitted are at UHF and they're not handling power. There are also RG6 and RG59-size cables designed for this use.

But the original RG11 coaxes were designed for TRANSMITTING, and for feeding baseband analog video around facilities. Belden makes several. They have copper centers and copper braid shields. Their loss at HF is significantly lower than the CATV coaxes you describe, AND, more important, they can be soldered to, so you can install Amphenol 83-1SP connectors on them. Davis RF sells a very nice RG11 that is physically and electrically similar to Belden's best RG11, 8213. Their BuryFlex is also very good. But don't expect a data sheet.

I've got some CATV RG6 that's been in my Beverage system and RX antenna systems for several years. Open up a connection and it ain't pretty -- the Al foil is covered with white powder, the center conductor has rusted. And this stuff was carefully taped. Run power through these oxidized connections and you're going to generate RF trash.

73, Jim K9YC