Re: [TowerTalk] Station grounding in a steel enclosure?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Station grounding in a steel enclosure?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 10:08:10 -0700
On Sun,8/28/2016 3:31 AM, Richard Thorne wrote:
Trent won't be there to unplug cables like I/we can when a thunderstorm approaches. He's attempting to come up with the best possible lightning protection that he can in his situation.

Understood. FWIW, I've never plugged/unplugged antennas. W8JI has written extensively on this, and does not recommend plugging/unplugging. Rather, proper grounding and bonding with arrestors for the center conductor.

Remember that primary protection is provided by bonding everything together and taking to ground, with towers and antennas on towers taken to ground at the tower base and feedlines bonded to the tower top and bottom. The last element of protection is a gas discharge tube to short the center conductor to the shield as close as practical to the rig.

73, Jim K9YC