Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Sources

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Sources
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 20:08:14 -0400
I've been using Times Wire LMR 400 and 600 for a good 10 to 12 years. I consider the retail prices reasonable. LMR-400 UF and 600 UF (Ultra Flex) makes good jumpers (indoors or in conduit) It is not rated well for outdoor use (check the site) It's a PITA to use cable prep tools on. The jacket is like a rubber cover. OTOH it is the most flexible available available for its size. Typically I purchase 1000 to 1500 feet at a time. I also use Davis buryFlex(TM) where the cable may be subjected to flexing, or mechanical hazards (direct bury and crank up towers)
I also use RG-8X LL from Davis, 1000 ft per purchase.

I've checked all of these using the AIM and found them to be in spec with no irregularities per spool.

RG400 (silver plated, stranded center conductor and shields) for newer chokes from various sources, I usually purchase 100' at a time.It's expensive, but I've found no suitable substitute. I do remember someone suggested a possible substitute, but I can't find it.

As replacing the mass of coax out there is a lot of work, I'm not willing to try less expensive alternatives that "might" be as good (and probably is) after 8 or 10 years Were I younger and making a good wage instead of a pension and SS, I'd probably jump at the chance to try alternatives. "Back then" I tried a lot of new stuff. Some was OK, and some was really bad after just a few years.

73

Roger (K8RI)