Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Sources

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Sources
From: "Perry K4PWO" <k4pwo@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 22:18:54 -0500
I have used LRM400 equivalent from Shireen and from L-com.  The only tests I
made were using an MFJ antenna analyzer to calculate the loss. Both vendors
cable met the published specs of LMR400 within the frequency limits of the
analyzer (MFJ 266C).  It has been in use since 2009 and the coax exposed to
weather (tower runs) has visibly held up well with no signs of the poly
covering aging.  The runs still measure as when first placed in operation.
I will say that the Shireen cable was from a "special" batch that had a full
copper center conductor instead of the copper clad aluminum of the L-com.  I
used the Shireen for HF and low VHF and the L-com for VHF/UHF.  I did not
use it for the rotor loop where I used RG-214 I had on hand.  It has an
outer covering of clear FTPE over the usual beige covering - very unusual
and tough stuff.

Perry K4PWO