Re: [TowerTalk] LMR600 male DIN

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR600 male DIN
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 19:16:03 -0400
On 9/9/2016 13:05 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

John,

FWIW, I find LDF4 very reasonable to handle.

Yes, and so does almost everyone who uses it on a regular basis. It's very robust, and takes some serious abuse to damage it. I've seen both LDF4 and LDF5 run over by cars on pavement with nary a dent.

I'm sure the thinner shield AVA5 or equivalent would be squashed in that scenario.

  The "hard line" I find quite
delicate are the varieties designed for use in CATV systems. I've got
some and I'm using it on two monobanders, but it requires VERY careful
handling. What I have is 1/2-in, 75 ohms, Cu-coated Al center, Al
shield, so it's very easy to kink.

Yes, and smooth wall 50 ohm aluminum hardline is the same, quite fragile. In particular you must be EXTREMELY careful not to nick the shield while installing a ground kit. A nick will turn into a complete break of the shield as soon as you bend the cable near the ground kit. We learned the hard way of course.

-Steve K8LX