Re: [TowerTalk] 4 square for 80

To: K1TTT <k1ttt@arrl.net>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4 square for 80
From: Wayne Kline <w3ea@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 13:46:41 -0400
I have been playing with 75/80 meter 4 sq. since I acquired a Colatcho  ( SP)
unit back in the late 80's ... First were wire 14 ga  suspended from trees.
This was on sloping ground and the radial were 1/4 wave laying  on the ground 8
per antenna . I choked the feed line at the antennas bases with slide over 43
mix, 8 pieces per feed line.   The performance was questionable  IMO because of
the 18 ft. difference in antenna orientation NE/SE .
 I moved to my now QTH in 99  and erected a 4 sq. out of modified Hi Gain high
towers. I first used elevated radials 4 per base tuned and at first 1 ft off
the ground . talk about erratic performance from a RAIN to  DRY day .. RAIN =
GOOD   Dry =POORboth  in FB and forward gain ... I then did the gull wing @
antenna base and 6 ft height. the dump power bandwidth  narrowedand the pattern
was not effected AS much from dry to wet
  I then bit the bulled and striped the area installed 14 ground rods ,  a X
grid of 8 ga copper wire and 106  1/4 wave radials 20 ga insulated  silver
soldered at the intersecting  8 ga  X grid .
 WOW Stability  was achieved . The feed lines at first were NOT choked off at
the base of the verticals  I then installed new feedline in the PVC emt  and
choked off the base with 8  43 mix beads ..  the dump power lowered and the
bandwidth  tightened up . with most  DX reports =  antenna #1  (NE)  being the
only one  detectable
  ????  No NEC,    just real world  performance evaluation .  Could the choke
keep re reradiated RF out of the Comtec BOX ???But there was a noticeable
difference with and with out the Beads.
Wayne  W3EA