Re: [TowerTalk] 4 square for 80

To: <k2xx@swva.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4 square for 80
From: "Jeff AC0C" <keepwalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 01:13:00 -0500
My mistake - yes it's N6LF. From QEX March/Apr 2012. A 2-part issue dealing with elevated radials specifically.

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie

-----Original Message----- From: Joe Giacobello, K2XX via TowerTalk
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2016 3:09 PM
To: Jeff AC0C
Cc: towertalk@contesting.com

Jeff, that appears to be an article by N6LF and not N6BT.  I wasn't able
to download the article, but on N6LF's website
(http://rudys.typepad.com/files/qex-ground-systems-part-3.pdf) he shows
the results of an experiment with elevated radials on 7.2 MHz.  He
compared four elevated radials to 64 ground mounted radials and found
the elevated system had equivalent gain if the radials were elevated a
minimum of four feet above the ground.  I know I had at one time
considered an equivalent 160M vertical and was planning on elevating
them at 18 feet.

73, Joe
K2XX

Jeff AC0C <mailto:keepwalking188@ac0c.com>
Friday, September 23, 2016 3:00 PM
I see this a lot - need to get the elevated radials up xx feet or whatever. But I don't know how to square that with the N6BT QEX data which shows a improvement in efficiency as the radial is lifted up just slightly from the ground (per QEX Mar/Apr 2012 page 39, figure 16, it's 0.0005 WL approx) - with the slope of improvement flattening out beyond that.

Either the QEX data is wrong, or it's not applicable for some reason in the special case of a 4-square (the article is about a single vertical with elevated radials), or the claims of "moving the radials up made a big difference" are subjective.

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Brown