Re: [TowerTalk] CO8DM

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CO8DM
From: Guy Olinger <k2av@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 15:47:18 -0400
> me:
>
>     550 HELO argument does not match calling host

Hi Mike, et al,

This a familiar exasperation, which I can happily say was solved for myself
and others.

Al is correct. As for the acronym...

FQDN = industry gobbledygook for "fully qualified domain name"

The common cause for this kind of a burp,  is that the "from" address on
your email does not match the domain which actually dispatched the email
across the internet.

A common way for this to happen is that an email customer does not like the
email support of the company that is supplying his internet (ISP, in my
case AT&T Uverse). And switches to one of the great email apps in the
internet sky to get a better app, and get away from individual POP email
handler programs like Thunderbird, etc., (in my case going to Gmail from my
old MS Windows XP outlook).

Then the email customer sets up his ISP to forward all his email on the old
email addr to the new email in the sky (in my case ******@bellsouth.net to
*****@gmail.com). The AT&T folks do not care because the email gets
redirected way up front in their process and does not occupy long term
storage.  Now I'm receiving everything from all the bellsouth.net
connections on my email app of choice. Happy, happy.

I decide that I DO NOT want to spend a year getting a decade of email
contacts switched off my bellsouth.net address, AND the *****@bellsouth.net
is also my login name all over the place and I have a little black book
with passwords and security questions to match it all. Changing all that
would be just plain nuts. I will if I absolutely have to, but that would
take months of evenings to do.

So I have gmail accounts set so they send my email OUT marked from ******@
bellsouth.net. But the bellsouth.net does NOT match the Gmail FQDN buried
somewhere down in the email header. I did have a few listserves which
bounced that in various ways.

I'm betting Mike has a Cuban ISP he cares about, that bounces his email for
the same reason.

In my case the answer for those listserves, was to unsubscribe the
bellsouth.net address and subscribe as *****@gmail.com. Unsubscribing the
bellsouth.net address was essential, because I can instruct Gmail to use
the to address in the incoming mail to fill the from address on my outgoing
reply. Resubscribing as ****@gmail.com sets that up nicely.

I have only had a handful of issues there, so the fix was not huge, and
AT&T had gone to Yahoo to handle their email, and I hated the Yahoo email
app.

Mike should just attempt to contact the Cuban email using an email that is
native to the email system he is actually using. An email that belongs to
the FQDN  :>)

P.S. Most acronyms are incomprehensible to most people. I will admit that
in my years working for SAS Institute, that the very extensive acronym soup
was totally essential to shorten most sentences at work to a tenth of their
length otherwise. But if one does not already know all that stuff, it turns
plain English into Greek.

Hope this longish explanation has helped, Mike.

73 & GL

Guy K2AV