Re: [TowerTalk] What do do on 80 when height restricted?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What do do on 80 when height restricted?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 15:06:03 -0700

one more -

I used 2x 20' by 3" irrigation pipe and a top hat for 80m. Two guys top and at 60% high would be better than mine at top and 50% which coupled wind induced vibrations into both lengths.

The top hat was 8x x 6' 3/8 6061 Al tubing and a aluminum fence perimeter wire, 13ga IIRC. Self supporting.

Worked great on a metal barn roof, although birds wiped out the perimeter wire a couple of times. In a city, I would think not much needed as guys, so the angles good be high to minimize the footprint.

EZNEC easily models this, so perhaps 8' long top hat tubing would resonate on 80m at 35' (guess no modeling). The feedpoint Z will be lower than 50 ohms because it is shorter, unless the Rg (ground) is high.

Not mentioned so far is the work of Rudy N6LF on top loaded antennas: antennasbyn6lf.com. Also a huge amount of research re elevated radials. All very good stuff.

DX Engineering sells self supporting full size 80m verticals in a couple of strengths, so it would be easy to copy either the top or bottom tapers with their stock tube sizes to make a self supporting shorty with top hat.

Grant KZ1W