[TowerTalk] DXE RX Antenna Systems

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] DXE RX Antenna Systems
From: "Paul F. Merrill" <marinesvcs@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 13:54:02 -0800
I sent this to DXE first, but I'd be interested in hearing opinions and
experiences.  Thanks.

I have two DXE RX 4 squares.  I bought the second one used thinking that I
may gather the parts so as to make a 8 antenna system using the controller
that came out after I bought my 4SQ.

Do you guys have an opinion on these three things:

1) My main focus will be 80 and 160, and will take what I can get on 40.
The 4 directions will cover pretty well from my QTH in Central W6...not
sure if I need 8 directions.  Would I be better off with a SQ optimized for
160 and one for 80 than on compromise 8L system?

2) Can I nest these two squares to save space, cable runs, etc.?  80 inside
the 160.

3) Are there any available systems to share (Multi2 contesting) and take
advantage of diversity RCV and/or share the various RCV antennas?  I plan
to put them far enough away from the XMIT antennas that I won't need the
sequencer, since I wouldn't want the 80m op to lose his RX antenna when the
160m op transmits.

Rigs now are K3's, but I foresee 6700's in my future.

I am fortunate to have some acreage, so I plan to have a couple of
beverages and maybe an AS Shared Apex Loop, but I have a lot of money in
these new/used DXE systems and want to make the best of them.

Thanks, Paul / W7IV