[TowerTalk] FW: DXE RX Antenna Systems

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: DXE RX Antenna Systems
From: "Matt" <maflukey@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 22:46:50 -0600
Hi Paul,

I've been working on a similar project so I'd like to share some ideas with
you.  First off, you are probably already aware that when you get up into
the 12 dB RDF range the patterns generally start getting narrow enough to
warrant 8 fixed directional coverage as opposed to 4 so as to avoid the 4-6
dB nulls at the 45 degree overlaps.    To my knowledge... the DXE Circle 8
array operates as a broad-side, end-fire array, and not 2 sets of staggered
4-squares.   The BSEF array can produce about 13.5 dB RDF (impressive for
its size) when optimized for a single band, which is generally about 1.5 dB
better than an optimized receive-only 4-square at about 12 dB RDF, and about
2 dB better than a TX 4-square.    It appears to me that a potential down
side might be that overall BSEF array performance is more compromised when
set up for multi-band use as compared to staggered receive 4-squares.   I
believe it is possible to consider interlacing two sets of the DXE receive
4-squares with either remote feedline switching or two independent feedlines
and a switch in the shack.    This may provide a better overall solution
depending on how you want to optimize your performance.

A related consideration that I discovered through modeling is pattern
deterioration (and noise increase) due to interactions with other resonant
transmit antennas.   Pattern disruption can be pretty severe when there is a
resonant antenna nearby - including 2nd and 4th harmonics.   For example,
when modeling my sight, I find that patterns for 2 staggered sets of receive
4 squares become distorted at 80m in two directions and at 40m in many
directions from interaction with an 80m transmit 4-square at 200 ft of
separation.   At the same time, a shortened 160m antenna has little
predicted effect at the same distance because it is not resonant on the
primary or harmonic frequencies.   A crank-up tower on site with a resonance
at near 1.75 mhz is also predicted to cause similar significant pattern
distortion on 160m, 80m, and 40m receive....   at least I can change the
resonance by cranking down the tower.    In any event - I have come to the
conclusion that for my station, about 11-12 dB RDF is a realistic target to
have coverage in all directions - so I plan to optimize for this performance
level.   To get there am planning two sets of 4-square receive antennas
covering 160m and 80m (except 2 directions) and then use my Beverages for
40m instead of trying to cover three bands on the receive 4-squares.  I can
extend the length of Beverages in the two directions that I can't cover well
on 80m to pick up the performance there without getting the corresponding
40m patterns too narrow.

Hope this info is of some use to you and perhaps gives you some ideas on
what might work best for your station.    Good luck with it.

73
Matt
KM5VI