Re: [TowerTalk] Which Thrust Bearing to Use

To: "jimlux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Which Thrust Bearing to Use
From: charlie@thegallos.com
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 11:19:31 -0500
<snip>

> Torlon is a bit pricey... $1200 for a 12x12 sheet 1/2" thick
>
> Moly filled Nylon is $37 for a 1" thick piece 6x6"  - Says it can be
> used outdoors, It's black, but that doesn't always mean it's UV resistant.
>
> Black acetal (Delrin) is $26 for the same 1"x6"x6"
<snip>

Which is why I said we don't need torlon of vespil <g>

Usually, if you are using those, you get them injection molded to shape,
unless it is a high buck one off, as they material is really priced per
oz, so as you would be removing the whole middle.  If you were in mold it,
there is much less there - but that is talking production, making molds
etc, unless you can find one of the plastics houses that offers a hat
bearing say in 2.25" ID

Done right, as the hat shaped bearing is UNDER metal, and never exposed to
UV, it'll never be an issue.  You can also use the Delrin, or even filled
delrin

Like I said, one of those applications where the fact we are using ball
bearings is just old fashioned, and today not even close to best practice.