Re: [TowerTalk] Which Thrust Bearing to Use

To: charlie@thegallos.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Which Thrust Bearing to Use
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 08:20:59 -0800
I strongly agree, a UV resistant plastic is a better way to go. I use black UHMW which is UV resistant and is almost as slippery as teflon, rulon, torlon or exotics like Vespel and < 1/10 the cost. I have a 6061 collar and stainless plate to ride on the UHMW 4" thick block (3" 22' alloy mast) but it is set for the prop pitch to handle the axial load (500#). The collar is there as backup and to facilitate work on the PP.

Every rotator or thrust bearing with steel balls on aluminum races I have disassembled, resuscitated or trashed shows the results of fretting. When parked the oil film breaks down and fretting digs a divot for each ball. Very small rotation cyclic loads kill ball bearings, even instrument grade ones in protected environments (eg disk drive rotary actuators). Very expensive lubricants are often employed to lengthen their life. White lithium grease is only slightly better than Crisco for lubing your rotator. Check out DuPont Krytox lubricants and others from Nye lubricants. More easily found are marine grade fully synthetic greases with anti corrosion and high pressure additives.

Frequent rotation enough (~ 25-40 degrees depending on the race diameter and ball size) to cause a full rotation of the balls brings a fresh oil film into the ball-race contact area and is an excellent preventative measure. Several times a week would be ideal. Parked for weeks is an invitation for excessive wear.

Very few hams are "anal" about bearing lubrication, but I am when replacing a $600 matched pair of ABEC9 angular contact bearings in a machine spindle.

Grant KZ1W