Re: [TowerTalk] UV and WX deterioration of THHN insulation, and effects

To: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] UV and WX deterioration of THHN insulation, and effects
From: Guy Olinger <k2av@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 16:17:26 -0500
Bare wire up outdoors over ten years, just what I would term a patina on
the outside.

This is in contrast to what happens to bare copper used in a woven coax
shield which has become waterlogged, where cable loss increases
significantly, and sometimes stripping reveals green crumbly stuff in and
around the shield for the entire length of the coax.

The difference in the long term between the two, perhaps is that the
elevated copper wire gets wet, the water largely drips off, and then it
dries off.

The copper in the coax shield, once penetrated with water, has the water
held to the copper 24/7/365. This may be the problem with the insulation on
the THHN in question, that it becomes water porous and holds water, and
whatever breakdown compounds against the copper indefinitely

73, Guy K2AV