Re: [TowerTalk] Ground plane wire

To: k2av.guy@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground plane wire
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 14:39:44 -0700
My sarcasm was missed.

On 12/28/2016 1:59 PM, Guy Olinger wrote:
For buried radials, particularly, I would not bother to scrape the enamel off #16 enameled other than to connect and solder.

Enamel is not the same thing as whatever PVC soup du Jour that is being used on THHN for insulation because that's what they happen to have in the barrel in China today.

The question about insulation on radials, has to do with a murky question about whether bare radials are better than insulated in a dense and uniform buried radial system. That is not related to THHN buried with insulation, other than the choice in this bare vs. insulated question.

Bare wire buried radial current measurements, from all the way back in 1937 in the Brown, Lewis and Epstein study, have some interesting aspects, which add to the murkiness in the question. To my mind it isn't settled either way and not likely to be settled. Just bury it.

73, Guy K2AV