Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower price increase

To: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower price increase
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2017 08:43:02 -0800
I looked at the Luso150US plus 4.5" dia 5 meter mast in some detail, had them do the calcs for the antennas I wanted. 2x 4L 40, 2 x 5L 20, 3L 80 which is a fairly serious tower loading! It didn't happen for three reasons, a used R65 tower and 9 yagis became locally available cheap, I preferred independent rotators (rings or swing arms) and servicing concerns with the Luso. So, I went with a Phillystran guyed R65 tower with K0XG rings. For high wind areas the Luso may be a good choice with its 1 minute up/down cycle, if the regulators allow that mode of compliance.

In the end the cost difference of Luso vs what I did was small since the tower was erected professionally (a 20' section with two rings weighed about 1000#) . The Luso base is a monster, their base plus rebar plus lots of concrete. As I understand it, Luso ships in a dedicated 2TEU container and ships everything (except the engineer) in it. Nice slide show of Luso install: http://www.7163net.com/k8xs/index.html

Flying an engineer from Japan might be cheaper than commercial tower riggers here.

Grant KZ1W