Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower price increase

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower price increase
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2017 12:39:26 -0800
On 1/3/17 12:33 PM, RCM wrote:

etc.   There is no justification for a 300% price increase overnight.

Jim  VE7RF

I think I remember a story, from the 70’s.

Art Collins was supposed to have said, Collins would always have radios for
Amateurs.

There was one price for S-Line’s for the ham market and another to the
government/military

The government squawked and the ham price doubled, overnight.

That's right out of the Federal Acquisition Regulations: you must give the US government the "best price" for the item - no special deals for other customers. No "loss-leaders"

THere has to be a non-trivial (e.g. not just a model number change) difference to justify the difference in prices between a "consumer" or "industry" price and the "government price".

Typically, the difference is accounted for in things like documentation, shipping containers, etc.