Re: [TowerTalk] Torque arms or not? TowerTalk Digest, Vol 169, Issue

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Torque arms or not? TowerTalk Digest, Vol 169, Issue 47
From: Stephen Davis <sdavis@davisrf.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 12:21:15 -0500
Hello all,

I agree with both Steve's. I have in past considered this subject in terms of
the fairly limited friction that can occur based on the actual surface area of
the guy that is in contact with the
tower leg (at any height thereto).  Also, when you consider the small amount of
friction of like durometer materials (usually galv. stranded steel on galv.
tower member), I feel it is negligent.
Of course I can't opine on every type/size tower out there but I opine ref. my
knowledge of Rohn towers up to Rohn 55.

   If one feels a concern to protect from friction, there are materials out
there that are chafing deterrents.  We sell these on our rope products that are
used for wharf lines for
various size ships up to large container ships and oil transport ships.  These
materials are not  expensive.     I am not pushing these materials as I don't
see the need for them and also
we only use these in the production of expensive, large OD, docking lines.
Such material  can be had from most any marine mooring or rigging co.

  Cheers,   Steve,  K1PEK     Davis RF Co.     Davis Rope and Cable Assemblies
Co.  (separate entities)