Re: [TowerTalk] Strange behavior

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Strange behavior
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 19:25:52 -0800
On Sun,1/22/2017 7:15 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:
If I'm not mistaken the smart phones derive the compass from GPS

Not all -- many phones have sensors for position and orientation separate from GPS. That's how, for example, they know when to rotate the image when you rotate the device.

which is true, not magnetic so it wouldn't require a correction.

For GPS to determine azimuth the observer must be moving. That works fine in a vehicle, but not when you're walking. Ask me how I know. :)

73, Jim K9YC