Re: [TowerTalk] Strange behavior

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Strange behavior
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 23:02:38 -0500
They can, or I should say, some can, but they may require movement while being held steady which is difficult. Some may require walking in a straight line for as much as 10 feet while you hold the phone in a constant position. You are correct though as you can't expect to just pull a smartphone from your pocket and expect it to tell you which way is North. It could tell you your location though, but without movement it leaves the directions up to you. They do not have near the precision of an aviation GPS, even without WAAS

A good GPS will give direction once it has initialized and it will do it from a stationary position, but those make smartphones look cheap.

I have a Garmin setting on the shelf that hasn't been used in many years. It's one of the earlier "full featured" aviation models and too bulky to be of any use hiking.

73, Roger (K8RI)