[TowerTalk] Strange behavior

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Strange behavior
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 01:32:42 -0800
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 22:09:27 -0500
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Strange behavior

Look a Northern MI, MI, MN, and mountainous regions. In some areas the
declination is ridiculous. If you want the actual declination for an
area spend some money and get an aeronautical chart for the region
containing the specific location.  There are many, drastic, variations
locally from the norm for that area.

If you are in any of the Northern states, be it New England, Mi or
Montana, the declination changes, albeit slowly.
The declination here has gone from W to E, or the other way...I've
forgotten as I haven't flown in close to 10 years. The point is, in the
20 years I was an active pilot, the declination changed almost 10 degrees.
I've never noticed the skew others have mentioned, but I've never had
antennas with a narrow beam width on 160, 75, or 40 and rarely work gray
line on any band.

73, Roger (K8RI)

##  are u sure the declination has changed 10 degs  in just 20 years ?   I find
that
hard to believe.   Its  30 degs for us folks in VE7 land.  Same as it always
has been.
Declination is changing each year, but a miniscule tiny amount.   Interesting
to note that
we also point 30 degs  for down town EU.... so magnetic north and EU are one
and the
same.

Jim   VE7RF