Re: [TowerTalk] Advice on tower restrictions possible new homepurchase

To: K7LXC@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Advice on tower restrictions possible new homepurchase
From: Mike KB9BIB <kb9bib@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 14:40:37 -0600
This is exactly what happened to me.

I did my own research, then went to confirm with them. One guy told me one
thing, which didn't sound accurate to me. So I went back a week later and
spoke to the residential superintendent. He gave me a different answer,
which sounded more accurate. Exchanged several emails with him and then
finally applied for the permit.

He issued it and classified it as a Wireless Communication Facility (cell
tower), which added significantly more requirements. A 5 minute call to him
to explain the difference and point him to the part of the regulations that
I felt applied more accurately, and he agreed and lifted those restrictions.

Do as much research as you can online first. Even if you have to go in and
talk to them to get them, just get a copy and read them on your own. In
many cases, these were adopted before the people working in the office
started working there.

73,
Mike KB9BIB

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 2:34 PM, K7LXC--- via TowerTalk <
towertalk@contesting.com> wrote:

> >  I'm toying with the purchase of property in Kansas.
> The  sight is plenty large enough for a tower or two.
> But I've never done this  before.
> The property is rural, in farm country.
> What do I need to do to  assure no restrictions or hassles concerning
> towers exist?
>
>     Sounds like fun. I would certainly recommend my UP  THE TOWER book.
> It's got 2 chapters on the legal implications. championradio.com  for more
> info.
>
>     But the first thing I would suggest is going to  city/county hall and
> getting a copy of the building regs. Then you'll know  EXACTLY what the
> building codes want. Of course this is in addition to any  CC&R's that
> apply. In
> the case of farm country in Kansas, it's probably a  non-issue.
>
>     The problem with asking the building department  questions is that they
> probably haven't encountered a tower application  before. And my experience
> has been that if you ask 3 people in the building  department for answers,
> you'll likely get 2-3 different answers.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve    K7LXC
> TOWER TECH
> and