Re: [TowerTalk] What am I missing....balun

To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What am I missing....balun
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2017 12:17:57 -0500
On 02/18/2017 12:09 PM, Jim Thomson wrote:

####   Both 142 and also 393 use the same FEP-9 outer jacket.  I found  only
one site that stated
FEP-9  could be used outdoors.    All the other sites mention nothing about
outdoor use.

142 has been commonly used for baluns on VHF yagis for many years. I don't recall hearing any horror stories. The 142 balun on my 6m yagi was inspected after 12 years in the air - looked fine and was still working fine.

I used a piece of 393 as a rotator loop on a 2m EME array for years. No problems.

I don't know why some have failures with the stuff while others don't. My experience has been positive enough that I have no concerns about continuing to use these cables outdoors.

Paul N1BUG