Re: [TowerTalk] current balun question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] current balun question
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2017 01:30:31 -0500
Thanks.

My copy doesn't show if the coax not fed is grounded or open. At least I haven't found it.

73, Roger (K8RI)

On 3/10/2017 10:48 PM, jimlux wrote:
On 3/10/17 6:02 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:
Doesn't the added inductance of a choke that covers 80, or 40 also add
more than just the length of the coax?

There's no inductance contributed to the signal being carried, because the magnetic field from the inner conductor is exactly cancelled by the inductance of the current in the shield. Just like a bifilar winding on a non-inductive wirewound resistor.

now, for the current on the *outside* of the coax, yep there's inductance a-plenty.

Roger (K8RI)

---