Re: [TowerTalk] current balun question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] current balun question
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 14:02:32 -0700
Hi Chris,

If your coax is well shielded, there's relatively little need for chokes like this along the feedline, but you DO need a very good one right at the feedpoint, and what you describe sounds quite good. If your antennas are stacked arrays, you need a choke on each antenna, as close as possible to its feedpoint.

As it happens, I just answered private email on the same topic for OZ7UV about a stacked pair of 2M Yagis. The general answer is this. Go to the Fair-Rite website and study these pages. You want a core that has its resonant peak near the operating frequency. That's #61 for 440 MHz, #31 for 2M. Determine that by studying the impedance curves.

http://www.fair-rite.com/product-category/suppression-components/round-cable-snap-its/higher-frequencies-200-1000-mhz-61-material-round-cable-snap-its/

http://www.fair-rite.com/product-category/suppression-components/round-cable-snap-its/lower-broadband-frequencies-1-300-mhz-31-material-round-cable-snap-its/

2631102002 is resonant at about 200 MHz, 2643102002 at 300 MHz, so this #31
core would be the better choice on 2M. You can see these curves by clicking on
the part number in each table.

73, Jim K9YC