Re: [TowerTalk] digging radials

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] digging radials
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 02:46:47 -0400
There are a number of ways to lay out radials, bury them just under the surface without going to lot of expense, particularly if you don't have a lot of stones. One problem with laying the wire on the surface is the tendency of some wire to curl up. Stretching usually works.

The edger is a relatively inexpensive approach, but still requires placing the wire in the trench. The addition of a narrow slotted wheel is a "relatively simple" addition to add to the edger and simple to build to pull behind a yard tractor. Just soak the soil where the radials go the night before.

Another approach would be a cutter that works similar to a plow, but not as messy. Run a tube down the back side to plant the wire. Use a skid plate to set the depth

The only limits are your imagination and metal working skills.
If you have the imagination, but not the skills or equipment, draw one up and have a local welder make one He could probably make one up, just knowing what you want to do and the height of the hitch above ground.

IE: I want something relatively simple to pull behind my yard tractor that will plant a wire a quarter inch to an inch deep. the hitch is 10" above ground (or what ever the actual height) It could be made/cut from 1/4" steel plate. A simple spreader could be added for burying coax.

I see no real reason for burying the radials deep.

73,  Roger (K8RI)