Re: [TowerTalk] digging radials

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] digging radials
From: Phillip Zminda <phil-z@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 10:01:49 -0400
I have a vertical with 60 radials installed over time. All were staked to the
ground with DX Engineering radial stakes or the U-shaped landscape cloth pins.
I even use a few home-brew stakes made from coat hangers. I spaced the stakes
about every 6 or 8 feet. The grass completely grows over the wire in a few
weeks. This is the ideal time of year to do it, before the grass really starts
growing. I don’t think it’s necessary for radials to much deeper than just
under the grass.

I also recommend the DXE radial wire. It doesn’t have memory like the wire
spools from Home Depot and is easier to lay straight.

I have an edger attachment for my roto-tiller and tried making slits before
using the stakes but i found it hard to hold a consistent depth and follow a
straight enough line.

Phil N3ZP