Re: [TowerTalk] Wire antenna help needed

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire antenna help needed
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 14:57:32 -0700
On Wed,3/22/2017 2:33 PM, Patrick Greenlee wrote:
A friend 120 air miles away has never been able to get good copy on me when I'm on the Hy-Tower but the OCF puts me in Q5. I often use my auto-tuner with it and that makes my Tokyo Hy-Power very happy at a kw.

The difference is vertical pattern. See http://k9yc.com/AntennaPlanning.pdf

Most verticals have almost no high angle radiation. Horizontal antennas do, how much depends on height. A 120 mile path on the lower bands is a high angle path.

73, Jim K9YC