Re: [TowerTalk] Wire antenna help needed

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire antenna help needed
From: KD0Q-Glenn <kd0q@traer.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 20:01:27 -0500
Steve,

I've had good success on 80-10 with 135 ft long, 450 ohm ladder line fed doublets similar to the DX Engineering Multi-Band Dipole Antenna. DXE says to use a 1:1 current balun but I've used 4:1. Use a short run of coax, RG-213 or the like, to the tuner.

Have used a Cobra UltraLite (www.k1jek.com) on field day with good results. It's kind of a linear loaded 450 ohm ladder line fed doublet. About 1/2 the length of a full size doublet but with somewhat less efficiency on the lowest band. Used using a good 4:1 current balun and short piece of RG-213 coax to the tuner.

Have also used commercial and home brew OCF dipoles. They work. Overrate the the balun. And be prepared to do significant feed line choking.

73, Glenn - KD0Q