[TowerTalk] USTower anchor bolts rusting

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] USTower anchor bolts rusting
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 09:57:12 -0700
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 19:37:51 +0300
From: Ed <navydude1962@yahoo.com>
To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>
Cc: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] USTower anchor bolts rusting

Can't go wrong with Portland Bolt. They sell the equivalent UST bolts in
galvanized. Cheaper, too!

##  agreed.  That is where I bought the 12 x anchor rods for my UST- HDX-689.
I had em
custom make them,  each rod is 60 inchs long, 1.125 diam..and with a 6 inch
thread on each end.
Then on went the 9x9 steel plates on the bottoms of each group of 4 x anchor
rods.  For that job,
I had the local steel place cut three  9x9 x .375 thick steel plates, and punch
the holes for me.
After cleaning them up a bit, I  used the cold spray on the 3 x plates, with
several coats, since it drys fast.
Nuts + flatwashers on both sides of each plate, never to be seen again,
embedded in 17 yards of concrete.

##  I used Portland bolt for my 18 ... 1 inch diam  x 3 inch long tower leg
bolts.  Zero rust after 5 years.  Ditto
with their flatwashers, split ring lockwashers etc.

##  You can get the anchor rod material  from portland bolt in  36-57-104 ksi
strength..and all galvanized.
For the smaller UST towers, they just used A-325 bolts, with the heads embedded
in the concrete.
A-325 is an astm spec.... which is the same as a SAE- G5 bolt.

##  If something like a leg bolt ever rusted, at least its easily replaced.
But anything embedded in concrete
that rusts, is a pita.

Jim  VE7RF