Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Foundation Inspections

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Foundation Inspections
From: Wes Stewart <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 10:14:15 -0700
A bit of history about towers in Pima County. When I put up my tower all that was required, if anything, was a zoning/land use permit. The county basically wanted to know that if it fell down it would land on your property. The guy that examined my "plans", an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet with a plot and an X where the tower would go, said to me something along the lines of, "You hams are smart guys, I know you'll do it right."

An acquaintance, a fellow DX club member, put up a 90' tower on the top of a ridge in the Tucson Mountains on the west edge of town. All entirely legal, but the Tucson Mountain Homeowners' Association, which has no legal standing but does have a lot of politically connected members tried to get the county to pass a retroactive regulation limiting tower heights to 35 feet. We hams joined forces and hired an attorney ($10,000) to fight the regulation and we packed the Board of Supervisors meeting with first responders, law enforcement, CAP, Red Cross, etc, all making the case that for emergency reasons we needed taller towers. The restrictive height proposal failed but we got building permits imposed on us.

Wes  N7WS