Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Foundation Inspections

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Foundation Inspections
From: Donald Chester <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2017 02:22:23 +0000
> An acquaintance, a fellow DX club member, put up a 90' tower on the top of a
ridge in the Tucson Mountains on the west edge of town.  All entirely legal, but
the Tucson Mountain Homeowners' Association, which has no legal standing but
does have a lot of politically connected members tried to get the county to pass
a retroactive regulation limiting tower heights to 35 feet.  We hams joined
forces and hired an attorney ($10,000) to fight the regulation and we packed the
Board of Supervisors meeting with first responders, law enforcement, CAP, Red
Cross, etc, all making the case that for emergency reasons we needed taller
towers. The restrictive height proposal failed but we got building permits
> imposed on us.

> Wes  N7WS

The lawyer was probably a good idea, especially out of concern for those who
might want to put up towers in future, but I'm not sure they could  legally
impose a regulation to retroactively prohibit an existing structure that was
already in place before the rule was enacted.

Don k4kyv