[TowerTalk] To Grout or Not to Grout

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] To Grout or Not to Grout
From: Gene K5GS <k5gs@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2017 20:16:55 -0700
I don't think you can go wrong by following the manufacturer's directions. I have several different sets of US Tower documents for the HDX-572 dating back to 1999. Each version calls for the placement of non shrink grout between the T-base and the foundation.

Home Depot carries Sika non shrink grout.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/SikaGrout-50-lb-High-Performance-Grout-524632/207199339

SikaGrout 50 lb. High Performance Grout is a non-shrink cementations grout. Common uses include structural grouting of column base plates, machine base plates, anchor rods and bearing plates. High strength formula allows for multiple fluidity levels for every project.

This product can be used at least 3 different ways:
1. Fluid (pump-able liquid)
2. Flowable (pour)
3. Plastic (as a putty)

Flowable is probably the best way, you build a form around the T-base and pour the grout into the form. After about 2 hours the form can be removed and the grout allowed to setup. As a plastic the product can be shoved (forced) into the space and allowed to setup. Not as pretty as pouring, but it works. The only difference between these 3 different consistencies is the amount of water in the mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t-GK9-1TDI

I was told the grout is used to better distribute / transmit the weight of the tower to the foundation. I'm not an engineer, so I follow the manufacturer's instructions.

When I removed the grout from my previous installation (after 16 years) the anchor bolts looked fine. There are examples on the Internet of machines, light poles, etc where grout was installed. I've also seen light poles and ham towers where the grout was not installed.

Cheers,
Gene K5GS