Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Windload Ratings & Tower Windload ratings

To: kurt@k7nv.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Windload Ratings & Tower Windload ratings
From: TexasRF--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 07:17:14 -0400
Kurt, please correct me if I am wrong. When I read EIA/TIA 222 I see
reference to EPA which I have assumed means Effective Projected Area, Not
simply
"projected area" or "effective area"  as mentioned in your email. I know
this is splitting hairs but we might as well call it by the correct name to
help  reduce the confusion that has been going on so long as you so well
brought  out.

Ironically, calculation of an antenna EPA seems almost trivial compared to
the tower calculations. There is no real excuse to get it wrong.

It is very likely that antenna manufacturers are prone to stick to the
older outdated calculation methods because it makes their products appear to
have smaller wind loads. This misleads buyers into thinking more and/or
larger  antennas can be installed on a given tower. Or a less expensive tower
could be  used with a given antenna load.

As usual, it all about  sales $$.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 6/13/2017 1:35:22 A.M. Central Daylight Time,