[TowerTalk] HyGain 155CA dampening rope

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HyGain 155CA dampening rope
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 20:02:32 -0700
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 15:04:08 -0400
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HyGain 155CA dampening rope

<I think rope is just a patch for a poorly designed element.

<John KK9A

##  agreed.  IF  you have a hy-gain product..or an old wilson etc,
or any other brand yagi with the myriad of swedges,  and that probably
includes M2,  you have to do something to  fix the vortex shedding aka
vibration issues, or it will self destruct.

##  IF buying new,  or building HB from scratch,  I would avoid the poor
mech designs in the 1st place.
The tapered designs with no swedges dont vibrate period.   Rivets or
a  pair of  SS machine screws at right angles to each other, with SS nylocks
is 100%   captivated  at each ele joint splice..... no slots required.   100 %
captivated means it wont rotate on its axis, nor migrate outwards towards the
tips.   Its  such an easy fix,  dunno why  hy-gain et all hasnt figured it out.
About the only place you would ever  require SS  hose clamps is for the tips
only.   Even then I would still not use hose clamps,  I would use a tubing
cutter,or a hacksaw.
Or replace the tips if too short, since Tip tubing is dirt cheap anyway.

Jim  VE7RF