Re: [TowerTalk] Bearings for Axial Load

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bearings for Axial Load
From: Clay Autery <cautery@montac.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 14:31:24 -0500
OK.... now that I own a 60 foot Heights Tower, I am VERY interested in
bearings for my mast...

Currently, it has a single Yaesu at the top (6 set screws; 2 x 3 setup
using load bars to spread the load) and the mast WAS resting in an Alpha
Spid RAK...

I've not settled on the exact rotator I want to use yet, but the Big RAK
is on the list.

But, I AM convinced I'd like to use two thrust bearings: one at top and
one somewhere in the middle, and if I could find a rotator that had a
pass-through, I'd support the REST of the weight on a bearing BELOW the
rotator.  Ideally, at least in my mind (tending to over-engineer
everything), I would prefer that the rotator experienced ZERO thrust
load.  More than I can hope for I'm sure, but that's the "ultimate goal".

I have a 24', 2" x 1/4" aluminum mast with nearly 16 foot internal to
the tower.

Clay Autery, KY5G
MONTAC Enterprises
(318) 518-1389