Re: [TowerTalk] Cellphone signal boosters

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cellphone signal boosters
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 13:43:26 -0400
On 7/26/2017 10:34 AM, ve4xt@mymts.net wrote:

Hi TTers,

Does anyone have experience with systems purporting to boost access to weak
cell towers?

Where our cottage is located, our cell coverage often arrives from the other side of Lake
Winnipeg, about 25 miles away. In summer, one bar on the phone's "s-meter" is
the most we can hope for. Data moves at a glacial pace.

I've found online systems comprising an outdoor yagi, an amplifier and an
indoor panel antenna said to serve as a sort-of repeater to offer stronger
reception and improved data rates.

Do these work?

They can work pretty well with one main caveat.

There must be good signal isolation between the rooftop yagi and the indoor repeater antenna.

The worst scenario is when the distant cell site signal is weak and the isolation between antennas is poor. There is AGC in the bidirectional amplifier that will crank up the gain to near max, and pick up the repeated signal from the indoor antenna, creating a type of feedback loop.

Metal buildings are good candidates for these systems. Small cottages not so much unless the yagi can be mounted far away up on a hill or something, and low loss cable run down the hill.

-Steve K8LX