[TowerTalk] Question about Hub City oil change

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Question about Hub City oil change
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2017 16:30:18 -0700
Question: does synthetic gear oil have noticeably lower
friction than petroleum based oil?

Today I changed in gear oil in the Hub City
gear box on my HDX-5106.  I used Motion Industries
PGO-FGL 460 synthetic gear oil.  First I warmed
up the box by raising and lowering the tower a
couple of times.  The HC box was now at about 60
degrees C.  I flushed a couple of times using
a flush that Motion Industries recommended.  Finally,
I put in the initial fill of the synthetic oil.

When I turned on the winch going up, everything appeared to
be "normal", as it was with the old oil.  I stopped
the winch and started it going down, still everything normal.

However, when I turned off the winch going down, the
motor took much longer than before to spin down;
the better part of a minute. The tower continued to
move down an additional 18 inches after the switch
was thrown.  Much farther than before the oil change.
I might have to re-position the lower limit switch.

Has anyone else seen this phenomenon?  Is it conceivable
that the synthetic oil is that much "slipperier" than
the old oil?  Did I use the wrong oil?  Too little
viscosity?  It didn't seem like it was lower viscosity
than the old stuff.

I drained the initial fill of oil and refilled it again,
but nothing changed.

Rick N6RK