Re: [TowerTalk] Wire antenna in trees? (Patrick Greenlee) (Kelly Taylor)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire antenna in trees? (Patrick Greenlee) (Kelly Taylor)
From: Clay Autery <cautery@montac.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2017 12:44:23 -0500
Correct...  THHN is not intended for use as exterior antenna wire, but
it surely does work well...  I can get it in any color I want and in a
2500+ foot spool, et al.

I can replace a LOT of 80m loops for not very much money...  Although,
mine has been up for 18 months now, stretched tight in FULL sun, and the
clear "pulling layer" has only just begun to fray.  The gray insulation
coat is fully intact.  Gray virtually disappears into both the sky and
trees.

Trick to using annealed copper wire is keeping the pivot points in large
diameter...  I use 4 inches, but would use larger if I could find
cheap/larger pulleys.

Also... there are different types of THHN/THWN...  some with 7 strands
and some with 19 strands... I prefer the 19 strand version.

I don't find the insulation particularly thin OR stiff...

73,

Clay Autery, KY5G
MONTAC Enterprises
(318) 518-1389