Re: [TowerTalk] Wire antenna in trees? (Patrick Greenlee) (Kelly Taylor)

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire antenna in trees? (Patrick Greenlee) (Kelly Taylor)
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2017 19:20:59 -0700
re #3

I use a pull down line of parachute cord tied to the hoist line on the pull side of the insulator so when something breaks - wire, coax, or insulators I can retrieve the hoist line top end. Or, make the hoist line a loop with a short tail for the insulator, but that takes a bit more of the larger, more expensive line and can be confusing to the ground crew.

The CMI pulleys are great, I use them for rigging stuff. For wire antennas, I use marine ball bearing blocks (single sheave pulleys) which substantially reduce the friction and line wear (smooth, never jam, last forever, and the line runs straight with their swivels). About $15, if you shop around on the web for Lewmar, Harken, or Ronstan. More expensive at West Marine, in my experience.

Grant KZ1W