[TowerTalk] Climbing towers

To: "'towertalk@contesting.com'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Climbing towers
From: greenacres113@charter.net
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2017 20:09:59 -0500

        At 71 my climbing days are over. Two yr.s ago the last tower went up.
50" of Rohn 45 Tiltover. I rented a boom lift & it was delivered to me
on a flat bed semi. With help from a friend we stacked 5 sections of
R45 , attached the tilt arm and installed the ant & rotor over a
weekend. The boom lift carried us & tower sections as we stacked it.
The lift also lifted the tilt arm into place. It is heavier than tower
sections. No injuries or damage. I plan on using another lift if I
need to work on some of my other towers that aren't tilt overs. It's
not cheap but as my Ham XYL said: no one was hurt & the rental cost
would have been what you would pay in the insurance deductible! Plus
no long recovery!

        I felt a lot more relaxed in the lift cage rather than being strapped
to the tower. Also everything is at eye level or lower in the boom
lift. No doing things over your head.

        K9IL