Re: [TowerTalk] What does -db antenna gain mean?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What does -db antenna gain mean?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2017 11:35:26 -0700
On 8/8/2017 10:08 AM, Bill Straw via TowerTalk wrote:
According to a Cebik article, a 160M inverted L over 4 x 50' radials has a -2.2
db gain. I think a -3 db gain would mean half the power would go into the
ground?

First, you've left off the reference for gain, which is probably "i." Antenna gain is usually expressed as dBi, which means dB with respect to an isotropic radiator in free space.

Several years ago, I put together a talk on 160M antennas, most of which is about radial systems, which is the most important part of a vertical antenna, especially for the lower bands.

http://k9yc.com/160MPacificon.pdf

73, Jim K9YC