Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Cable choices

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Cable choices
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2017 19:38:12 -0400
When I used just tape, I never had a problem. "Theoretically" I can see it with a "single layer", but I always wound in one direction to the end, then continued back to where I started, giving a crossing layer with the adhesive filling any gaps.

Even a single layer of tightly wound tape with a 25% to 50% overlap should seal that area with adhesive leaving the exterior edge the only one not filled. There is no reason for that interior gap to not be filled when the tape is wound tightly. The interior edge should be visible as a change in the outer layer.

I'm not in a tropical area, but Michigan has a fair amount of rain with temps ranging from sub zero to well above 90 in a typical year. In summer, ones side of a splice/connector with black tape can be too hot to touch (> 150F) while the other side may be less than 80 or 90F. The hot temps aid the adhesive (on good tape) filling that edge gap. With some cheap tape, getting hot leaves the adhesive slippery like grease.

In over 55 years as a ham, I've never seen water migration as he describes, except where the tape was not tightly wound with the proper overlap..

73, Roger (K8RI)