Re: [TowerTalk] Broadbanding 80 meter dipole

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Broadbanding 80 meter dipole
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 10:42:51 -0700
On 8/18/2017 7:34 AM, Grant Saviers wrote:
One not in the current handbook is the Witt/Leeson tuned coaxial resonator feed method, see http://www.robkalmeijer.nl/techniek/electronica/radiotechniek/hambladen/qst/1993/09/page27/index.html

Garry, NI6T, turned me on to this several years ago, crediting it to W6NL. Dave, who teaches at Stanford, has long included it in his classes, but denied credit for it, saying that it was far older than him. And like me, he's no pup! I included the technique in a talk I did some years ago on using SimSmith to design antenna matching networks.

http://k9yc.com/PacificonSmithChart.pdf

I showed that the technique is not limited to a one-wavelength matching section -- indeed, a SimSmith model shows that it works fine with any whole number of half-wavelengths up to about 4.

This technique does not, however, work for a multiband dipole to cover 80/75/40. I have such a dipole, so I worked long and hard at a model and never arrived at anything that looked good on both bands. The problem occur on 40M. Instead, I switch in stub matching networks in the shack. To design them, I measure feedline Z with my DG8SAQ VNWA 3e, export the data to SimSmith, and do the design work there. This is also included in the SimSmith talk. Among other things, if line length and coax type are known, SimSmith can show plots of feedline loss vs frequency. SimSmith has data for many popular feedline types, and it's easy to measure the electrical length of a feedline with the VNWA 3e.

http://sdr-kits.net/VNWA3_Description.html

Another point. Even if the tower is not resonant, it is still an active element of any vertical antenna in the vicinity. N6LF alerted me to this several years ago in an excellent study that he posted to his website. I verified this by building a model of my 160M Tee vertical with a grounded tower that wasn't even close to resonance and about 80 ft from it, and saw a bump of several dB in the horizontal pattern.

The strength of the effect also depends on the impedance to earth of the ground for the tower at the operating frequency. That impedance (mostly R) shows up as a resistor in series with the base. I have two quarter-wave wires sloping in opposite directions off the top of my 120 ft tower to a feedpoint about 60 ft from the tower. They are insulated from the tower by a 10 ft length of 4-in PVC conduit. Each wire has four radials elevated about 20 ft (this height recommended by N6BT), and I've added 8 on-ground radials to the base of the tower to lower the Z of the earth connection (because the tower is a passive element). NEC predicts about 2 dB gain from this antenna, and on-air switching between the two sloping verticals confirms the directivity (although not the gain, which is FAR more difficult to measure).

73, Jim K9YC