Re: [TowerTalk] getting the ufer ground effect with a burried painted se

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] getting the ufer ground effect with a burried painted section
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2017 06:28:39 -0400
As a personal opinion and many years of back ground I think the bare metal would be better. The question is "how much better?" It depends on the area of painted metal in the concrete and that depends much on the size of the tower legs. The metal with pain is essentially a very large capacitor that will shunt most of the lightning strike to the UFER (concrete) and that concrete has a tremendous area on the exterior. Far more than a network of ground rods.
It would take a very powerful strike to even damage the paint.

Jim Brown gave a very good description of the voltages, currents and power involved.

Were it me, I'd add a ground rod out about 6" on ea side (in the concrete) from each tower leg in addition to an external ring of ground rods extending out for two 8 footers, 16' apart..

As to rust. I doubt that would be a problem "in" the concrete. I would want the top 4 to 6" where it enters the concrete painted though. There is a high tendency to rust where unpainted steel enters the concrete. .

73, Roger (K8RI)