Re: [TowerTalk] 80m vertical size calculation

To: "Chuck Dietz" <w5prchuck@gmail.com>, "Charles Morrison" <junkcmp@gmail.com>, "V. Sciucka" <vytenis.sciucka@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80m vertical size calculation
From: "StellarCAT" <rxdesign@ssvecnet.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 15:23:11 -0400
Chuck,

The reason why this will work is because you are FIRST determining what the formula is for that particular antenna in situ. So if it were say 22M tall and it resonated at 3.467 Mhz then the "formula" for THIS antenna turns out to be :

72.16' (22M)  *  3.467 = 250.2

So for THIS antenna - where it is - in situ, you can use 250.2/Fmhz.

So then adjusting it a small amount - and that is key here we're not talking about testing it at 3.467 Mhz and deciding to redo it for 7.1 Mhz using that value ... for testing for this (relatively speaking) small change to say 3.55 or even 3.8, a difference of only 10%, the formula will get you pretty darn close. If it were a bigger change - if you had it at 3.45Mhz and wanted to go to 3.8Mhz I'd suggest you started out 'wrong' for lack of a better term - but even in this case you can use this method. Variables like - for example with that size change of 10% if you whack off 7' and that 7' is ALL of the top diameter of 1/2" and the next diameter jumps up to say 3/4" it might be off by a little bit. But based on his request - he's in the ball park to start off - this will work just fine. I used it for all of my antennas when modeling/range testing - M2 and Optibeam antennas to put them where I wanted the performance to be.

Gary
K9RX

-----Original Message----- From: Chuck Dietz