Re: [TowerTalk] New to Group, WTB M2 OR2800PX

To: towertalk@contesting.com, john@kk9a.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New to Group, WTB M2 OR2800PX
From: K7LXC--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 17:00:31 -0400
>  Is the Orion really an upgrade over the Yaesu?  I  owned two Yaesu
G-2800DXA rotators and turned moderately large monobanders on  a 2 1/2"
mast at my windy Aruba home without issue.

    While I've never owned one, I am a fan of the Yaesu  rotators. They
seem to be pretty reliable as I haven't replaced too many in my  tower work and
the control box is simple and useful.

    The Orion has an edge in rotating torque - Y 2170  in-lbs vs O 2800 -
but the Y has better braking torque - Y 21,700 vs. O 17,000 -  so I'd say
they're similar. The one advantage that the Orion has that IMO is  helpful is
that the Orion has a worm gear drive which is a useful configuration  for a
rotator instead or relying on a brake wedge or other designs to do the
braking.

    Now if you're talking about control boxes and mast  clamps, that's
another story. The Orion has a controller that only the  designer could love
plus the mast clamp has 2 fatal flaws. Buy the rotator from  M2, the controller
from Green Heron and a mast clamp from say championradio.com  and you've
got a strong, workable and reliable rotating system.

    The mast clamp for the Yaesu is easy to  break but if you use the
proper method of tightening and also pin the mast,  it works FB.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH
and